King and the Clown fansite King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums
The unofficial fansite in support of the South Korean film "King and the Clown"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Lucky Dice   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the 2007 Foreign-Language Oscars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> ShareSpace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lady wakasa
Clown

1563 chohwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: On the 2007 Foreign-Language Oscars Reply with quote

My thoughts on the Oscar selection (from the Variety article)...

Quote:
For the first time ever, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences on Tuesday unveiled a shortlist of nominees for foreign-language Oscar -- with the announcement and the results reflecting recent rule changes. The nine pics are "Days of Glory" (Algeria), "Water" (Canada), "After the Wedding" (Denmark), "Avenue Montaigne" (France), "The Lives of Others" (Germany), "Pan's Labyrinth" (Mexico), "Black Book" (The Netherlands), "Volver" (Spain) and "Vitus" (Switzerland).

The key paragraphs may be

Quote:
All have U.S. distribution, in contrast with two years ago, when the majority of the five contenders lacked domestic distribution from a major company.

Sony Classics has four of the nine: "The Lives of Others," "Black Book," "Volver" and "Vitus." Distribs with one apiece are Fox Searchlight ("Water"), IFC ("Wedding"), Picturehouse ("Labyrinth"), ThinkFilm ("Montaigne") and the Weinstein Co. ("Days of Glory").

I think at least two of these are deserving (I've seen three), but am still disappointed.

Given that Sony had an Almodovar roadshow this fall (and I do like Almodovar, and think he deserves an Oscar), they've been working on this for quite a while. I'm pretty sure that, barring last-minute unforseens, it's virtually sewn up.

And am disappointed - not because King and the Clown will not win, because I didn't expect it to given all the hurdles, but because it didn't have a chance to be even considered.

Just plain disappointment.

At least there wasn't the possibility for any of that US-production-winning-a-foreign-Oscar crap a la the Golden Globes.
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say it...lady wakasa....plain disappointment!

In my very personal view..."King and the Clown" should have make it to the final 9 at the very least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> ShareSpace All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: