King and the Clown fansite King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums
The unofficial fansite in support of the South Korean film "King and the Clown"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Lucky Dice   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review of "King & Clown" at the Boston Globe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> News and Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nslan
Advisor

4113 chohwa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Review of "King & Clown" at the Boston Globe Reply with quote

Review of 'King & the Clown' at the Boston Globe by Damon Smith on 21-01-07

Before "The Host" came along, Lee Jun-ik's extravagant period drama "The King and the Clown" was the highest - grossing film in Korean history. Set in 1506, during the Chosun dynasty, it tells the true story of two bawdy jesters, charismatic Jang-sang and his gay lover Gong-gil, who are arrested for mocking King Yonsan, a tyrant increasingly out of favor with his own ministers. Their audacity pleases His Majesty, as does Gong-gil's fair skin, and he gives the troupe a berth in his palace. As the king's excesses grow, heads begin to roll, and the clowns find themselves mired in court intrigue.

Banned in China for its risqué repartee and homoerotic themes, "King" is a grittier film than its Hong Kong echo, "Farewell, My Concubine," especially with its earthy characters and trick bag of shots; it's also more focused on the tense, same-sex love triangle than Chen Kaige's historical epic. Anchored by robust performances, "King" is an enthralling movie that hearkens back as much to Shakespeare and commedia dell'arte as to Korea's own cultural traditions.

Note : risqué repartee = the bawdy back-and-forth humor that the clowns trade while performing; commedia dell'arte = an Italian art form from the Renaissance, also bawdy humor.

It's a pity that this great solid little movie has again been branded with having a homoerotic theme. It's actually much more than that.

Original Link : http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2007/01/21/the_seoul_of_a_newcinema_at_the_mfa/?page=2

----
lady wakasa
Clown

1577 chohwa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know - it's been years since we covered the Renaissance in school (and I only learned very general things), but that commedia dell'arte comment is much more appropriate that I originally thought. From wikipedia:

Quote:
The performances were improvised around a repertory of stock conventional situations: adultery, jealousy, old age, love,... The dialogue and action could easily be made topical and adjusted to satirize local scandals, current events, or regional tastes, mixed with ancient jokes and punchlines. Characters were identified by costume, masks, and even props, such as the slapstick.

That pretty much nails it on the head, both with the clowns' performances and with the actual story. And my guess is that this is all coincidental (although now I'd love to find out about the writers' backgrounds, for both the play and the film).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> News and Information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: