King and the Clown fansite King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums
The unofficial fansite in support of the South Korean film "King and the Clown"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Lucky Dice   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Trip - Korea (21 Oct'07 to ...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> ShareSpace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Vacation Trip - Korea (21 Oct'07 to ...) Reply with quote

Hi folks,

While Majou is enjoying her time in sunny Hawaii Laughing Laughing Laughing attending the HIFF'07 event (BTW, Majou - do share some of your photos here!!!), I managed to squeeze out some vacation time to visit Hong Kong and Korea during the same period.

Arrived in Seoul late on Satursday evening. The weather is quite cold...contrary to Hong Kong where it is still warm from the Summer Sun...oh man...I don't think I brought enough warm clothing for protection...hopefully that will not keep me from sighting-seeing and experiencing Seoul in her essence. Wink Wink

Anyway, some pictures to share from Day 1 & 2...

Last edited by nslan on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited Cheonggyecheon stream which was within walking distance from where I was staying...there was a 'live' band performing when I did my walk.

Picture 1 - Cheonggyecheon stream

Picture 2 - 'LIVE' Band Performing at the stream

Last edited by nslan on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the cheonggyecheon stream, I walked to Dongdaemum Gate and visited the Dongdaemum Market. It was really busy...must be 'cos of the weekend crowd.

nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night scene of Seoul at Gang-gu from my hotel room.

nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back...

Day 3...Visited Gyeongbokgung Palace. This is the main palace from the Joseon Dynasty. It was destroyed during the Japanese invasions of 1592 and reconstructed from 1868.

From the palace, you can catch a sight of the presidential residence - Cheongwadae (Blue House).
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others pictures at the Palace...

There was also a special exhibition on display at the "National Folk Museum" (located just next to the palace) showcasing korean traditional costumes.

Last edited by nslan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to visit another palace - Changdeokgung Palalce - designated as cultural assest of world heritage by UNESCO. Unfortunately, it is closed on Monday. Anyway, managed to take a few pictures from the outside. There was also a SBS period drama being filmed at location. [PS. I nearly walked on to the set without people noticing / stopping me. Alas, did not see any movie star that I know Laughing Laughing Laughing ]

Visisted the palace next to Changdeokgung Palalce - Changgyeongung Palalce. A nice place but somewhat dated.

lady wakasa
Clown

1563 chohwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh... I want to go to Korea someday!!!

So - are you able to get around pretty well without knowing Korean, or do you have to stick to major places more likely to have English translations?
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lady wakasa wrote:
Sigh... I want to go to Korea someday!!!

So - are you able to get around pretty well without knowing Korean, or do you have to stick to major places more likely to have English translations?

Hi D,

Seoul is a pretty easy place to navigate...in term of finding major places, reading maps (even a person like me who is really bad with directions isn't totally lost... Cool Confused Cool Laughing ) and pointing to the food you want to eat Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Of course if you are going off the beaten track, you will pretty much need to know some korean. But if you want to travel and move around alone, I guess it is still an easy destination to do so given the fact that one does not know the language....so just throw a backpack over your shoulder and go for it anytime you are ready for some adventure in Seoul!!!

BTW, more pictures below.
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited Deoksugung Palace today.

Pic 1 : Main Gate

Pic 2 : Museum inside the Palace

Pic 3 - 6 : Other pictures @ Palace

Pic 7 : Status of King Sejong who invented the korean language (hangeul)

Pic 9 : Sample of wooden curving by street vendor outside of Palace
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture on Seoul City Hall just next to Deoksugung Palace

More pictures on Royal Guards Changing Ceremony...

While most of the palaces are re-creations (most of the original structures were either destroyed earlier or during the Japanese invasion), Seoul is a place where you can get a sense of old and new within the same city easily and comfortably.

TIP : If you are visiting Seoul, try to get a T-money Card (top-up with an initial value of 10,000 wons would be sufficient + 2,500 wons for the card itself) which will allow you to travel as well as buy tickets to all the sight-seeing places *without any hassle*. If you are just visiting the center of Seoul, you can even save on transporation by going on foot.

Last edited by nslan on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks...last day in "SEOUL" town...will be going home first thing tomorrow morning.

Visited Korea House and Namsangol Tradition Korean Village (Free Admission at both locations which are close to each other)

Pic - Traditional Gate Keepers normally found at the entrance to any Korean village

Pic - Traditional Korean House

Pic - Also took the yellow bus up Mt. Namsan. Unfortunately, drop one stop too soon Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so had to climb the rest of the way up to where the North Seoul Tower was. It was tough!!! The hill is really steep.

Pic - At the top of the Mt. Namsan, there is a restored smoke-signing tower where an enactment took place when I was there. Unfortunately, it was too hazy to take any picture of the surrounding view of Seoul from the hilltop.

Pic - After leaving Mt. Namsan, I dropped by Seoul Animation Centre. Unfortunately, everything is in Korean only so I just took some pictures. But it was interesting to note the development of Korean animation history, even though I may not understand the language. One pity though...I thought of buying some good korean animation DVD to bring home but just couldn't find any while I was in town.

(I believe this is the cartoon figurines from the animation "Dachangjin" 大长金)

Last edited by nslan on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
nslan
Advisor

4091 chohwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, this Korean trip was interesting...it made me realised a couple of things. Some parts of which were good while others were something to ponder about.

Nevertheless, it is a country worth another visit. May be next time, I will try to spend more time shopping and partying...'cos i just realised that while I have visited almost all the sight-seeing spots and trying out some of the local foods, I have yet to pick up enough gifts & souvenirs for friends and family back home Embarassed. Guess I just have to grap whatever I come across at the airport duty-free shops.Laughing Laughing Laughing

- nslan signing out...annyong hee kye seyo!!!
lady wakasa
Clown

1563 chohwa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a great time, Nslan. Thanks for sharing!
wenyue
Clown

145 chohwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Wanted to visit another palace Reply with quote

Wanted to visit another palace - Changdeokgung Palalce - designated as cultural assest of world heritage by UNESCO. Unfortunately, it is closed on Monday. Anyway, managed to take a few pictures from the outside. http://www.buynba17coins.com There was also a SBS period drama being filmed at location. [PS. I nearly walked on to the set without people noticing / stopping me. Alas, did not see any movie star that I know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    King and the Clown Unofficial Fansite Forums Forum Index -> ShareSpace All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: